Thursday, October 9, 2008

Prompt me...I'm going in

I read some of the writing prompts and many appeared that they might actually help, however some just appear to be enforcing what I always knew. Pen to the pad-- I think that is the easiest prompt there is. Sometimes its not about mood, amount of light in the room, revision of someone else's work, or big beautiful words. It is and always will be about the writer and what inspires him or her. Writing poetry is a personal affliction, a pointy prickly thorn that pierces the skin and forces the writer to bleed their soul onto paper. Poetry is emotional and exposure. The more vulnerable you allow yourself to be, the more connected the reader will become and your poetry will have achieved its ultimate goal, which is to convey emotion to the reader. I attempted to write in the dark. I attempted to rearrange someone else's work, but nothing was more effective to me than connecting with a memory. Prompts are nice....they just should not be accepted as the cure all for writers block. I suggest a quiet room, a pencil, and a memory.....that's all.

No comments: